Acquire a deeper knowledge and understanding of 1) the biostratigraphy and its importance in obtaining a chronostratigraphic and biochronologic framework of sedimentary successions and in the Geological Time Scale, 2) its applications in the fields of Geological Sciences.
Course contents summary
• Biostratigraphy: definitions, biostratigraphic units, methods of biostratigraphicanalysis, biozonations, biostratigraphic correlations.
• Biostratigraphy integrated with magnetostratigraphy, isotope stratigraphy andcyclostratigraphy.
• Biostratigraphy, Chronostratigraphy and Geological Time Scale.
• Biostratigraphy applied to sequence stratigraphy and hydrocarbon exploration.
• Practicals focused on the main foraminifera biostratigraphic markers.
McGowran B., 2005. Biostratigraphy. Microfossils and Geological Time. CambridgeUniversity Press.
Jones R.W., 2014. Foraminifera and their Applications. Cambridge University Press