The course aims to prepare students on the geological mapping based on
outcrop and subsurface data
good knowledge of the following subjects are warmly recommended:
- topography (use of topographic maps)
- mineralogy and petrography (for hand-samples rocks recognition)
- structural geology
Course contents summary
Main goals of the course:
• Tools for the geological mapping of soils and their use.
• Planning of the geological mapping.
• Airphotogrammetry in the geological mapping.
• Mapping of geological surfaces.
• Interpolation and extrapolation of geological surfaces.
• Contour of geological surfaces, construction of contour maps (contour
map) and isobaths
• Contour of volumes of geological units, construction of isopachs
• Day and multi-days fiels-trips on sedimentary successions.
• Laboratories for surface geological mapping and elaboration of a simple
geological map relative to assigned area.
• Integration of the outcrop and subsurface data.
• Basic use of informatic programs useful for geological mapping
BARNES J. 1995 – Basic Geological mapping. Wiley & Sons.
BENNISON G.M. 1985. An introduction to geological Structures and Maps.
BENNISON G.M., MOSELEY K.A: 2003 - Geological structure & maps. 7th
edition Hodder Arnold COMPTON R. 1985 - Geology in the field. Wiley &
COE A.L., ARGLES T.W., ROTHERY D.A., SPICER A.R., 2010. Geological
field techniques. Wiley-Blackwell
CREMONINI G. 1994 - Rilevamento geologico. Pitagora Editore, Bologna.
LISLE J.R., 2004. Geological structures and maps. A practical guide.
McCLAY K.R. 1991 - The mapping of Geological Structures. Open
SIMPSON B. 2002 - Lettura delle carte geologiche. Ediz. italiana a cura di
Cusimano e Di Stefano. Flaccovio Editore, Palermo.