FOOD BIOTECHNOLOGY AND BIOTECHNOLOGICAL FOODS
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Role and function of biotechnology in agri-food production and in the food industry
- Biotechnologies in the transformation of primary matters derived by agri-food for nutritional or industrial purposes
- Analysis of the economic impact of biotechnologies
- case-study focused on food production
Course contents summary
Biotechnologies can be defined as the technological applications that use biological systems, living organisms or derivatives from these, to produce or modify products or processes for a specific and applicable purpose.
The course aims to illustrate the methods for production and relevant examples of biotechnological products already present on the market, together with the effects that has been shown on the economic level. Furthermore, the course wants to give a perspective on future application in agri-food field.
All the material will be uploaded on the Elly platform and will be available for all the students.
The course includes lectures with slide projection. The material comes from relevant international scientific literature.
Assessment methods and criteria
The exam will be written with several essay questions. These questions will include all the topics of the course. The passed written exam, will allow to access to an eventual oral exam.
Verification of abilities (according to Dublin descriptors):
- the knowledge and its applications emerge from the description of the methods and from the examples given in the answers provided
- written communication skills are verified by the quality of the answers provided