Learning outcomes of the course unit
The aim of the course is to provide the basis for rock identification on the basis of their structural and textural features and mineral associations. The course is divided in two parts: 1. identification and description of hand samples, 2. identification and description of the rocks at microscope
Course contents summary
Description of the formation processes of magmatic, metamorphic, sedimentary rocks. Observation of structures and textures that allow macroscopic recognition of rocks.
Description of the main optical characteristics that allow the recognition of the rock minerals and the identification of the rocks by the observation of the thin sections at polarized optical microscope
1. Main processes of rock formation.
2. Magmatic rocks: physical and chemical features of magmas, crystallisation of magmas, magma evolution. Classification of magmatic rocks: structural and textural features, mineral associations, chemical compositions.
3. Metamorphic rocks: definition, limits and types of metamorphism. Metamorphic minerals and metamorphic structures. Classification of metamorphic rocks.
4. Sedimentary rocks: rock degradation, sediment transport and deposition. Lithification of sediments. Composition, structure and texture of sedimentary rocks and their classification.
5. Principles of optical mineralogy: the petrographic microscope, orthoscopic and conoscopic observations. Microscope identification of the main rock types
MacKenzie W.S., Guilford C. - Atlante dei minerali costituenti le rocce in sezione sottile. Ed. Zanichelli, Bologna
MacKenzie W.S., Donaldson C.H., Guilford C. - Atlante delle rocce magmatiche e delle loro tessiture. Ed. Zanichelli, Bologna
Yardley B.W.D., Mackenzie W.S., Guilford C. - Atlante delle rocce metamorfiche e delle loro microstrutture. Ed. Zanichelli, Bologna
Adams A.E., MacKenzie W.S., Guilford C. - Atlante delle rocce sedimetarie al microscopio. Ed. Zanichelli, Bologna
D'Argenio B., Innocenti F., Sassi F.P. - Introduzione allo studio delle rocce. Ed. UTET, Torino
Peccerillo A., Perugini D. – Introduzione alla Petrografia ottica. Morlacchi Editore, Perugia
lectures and laboratory
Assessment methods and criteria