PEDAGOGY OF CHILDHOOD
Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the course the students will be able to understand the main themes and to reflect on them in a critical way. In particular, they should show that they have acquired the main theoretical references and research that enhance the active protagonism of children; they should also show the competence to critically analyze what it means to promote voices and perspectives of children in various educational contexts, the conditions under which this is possible (also with regards to the image of the child and to the social representasions of infancy) and through which educational practices.
Course contents summary
The course aims at analyizing both the issue of children's listening and participation in their processes of growth and development and the image of child and infancy the adults have.
The course will deal with issues and problems related to the children's voices and perspectives.
In particular, the course will deep conditions and possibilities of promoting children's autonomy and participation in different contexts and in different situations.
These issues will be discussed with reference to the fundamental Theories of Ecec education in the Twentieth Century and in particular to an ecological, systemic and socio-constructivist approach.
The students have to study:
• all the materials on the website http://elly.dusic.unipr.it (with regards to the specific section dedicated to this course);
• Edwards C., Gandini L., Forman G. (2017), I cento linguaggi dei bambini. L'approccio di Reggio Emilia all'educazione dell'infanzia, edizioni Junior - Spaggiari.
• Luciano E. (2017), Immagini d'infanzia. Prospettive di ricerca nei contesti educativi, F. Angeli, Milano.
• A book chosen from the following:
- Korczak J. (2017), Le regole della vita. Pedagogia per giovani e adulti, Mimesis.
- Carr M. (2012), Storie di apprendimento. Documentare e valutare nei servizi per l'infanzia, Edizioni Junior - Spaggiari Edizioni, Parma.
The references are the same for attending and non-attending students.
We inform the interested students that the 2017/18 and 2018/19 programs of examination will remain valid until the exam session of the spring session included (March 2020).
Starting from the summer examination session, the only valid exam program will be the one relative to the academic year in progress (2019/20).
The course includes, in addition to lectures and theoretical reflections, even the direct involvement of students through case-studies, work-group and discussions in plenary. The students will be also involved in the analysis of different materials about pedagogical documentation.
Some experts' voices will enrich the course.
Assessment methods and criteria
The students' learnings will be evaluate through a written test which includes questions about: a) the student's knowledge about the main theories and topics about children's participation b) the student's competence about reflecting on specific themes in a critical way c) the student's competence about analyzing issues across different contexts and perspectives.