Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course aims to provide students with the theoretical concepts useful to understand the basic elements and the principal authors concerning health and safety at the workplace, with particular reference to the actors in the context of health facilities. The specific objectives include: Define the concepts of risk and risk factor for health; be able to identify health risks in the workplace. Knowing the main categories of hazards in healthcare facilities. Knowing the reflections of the organization of work on health professionals. To explain the main rules and regulations regarding health and safety at the workplace. Knowing the basics of prevention of occupational accidents and occupational diseases. Knowing the meaning and consequences of health surveillance.
Course contents summary
At the end of the course the student will be able to address the following issues, which fell in the reality of care facilities:
1) Legislation on the protection of the safety and health of workers; the protection of health of health professionals; the active participation of workers in prevention activities.
2) Risk factors and work activities: the concept of danger and risk; classification of risk factors in the healthcare environment.
3) Accidents and occupational diseases; disease and work-related illness at work.
4) Exposure to biological agents.
5) Ergonomics hospital; cargo handling and / or patients and prolonged fixed postures; organizational factors and work-related stress.
6) Exposure to ionizing radiation; technical and medical prevention: the role of the expert qualified and licensed physician.
7) The health surveillance; periodic preventive health assessments; the judgment of suitability and impact on the organization.
8) The management systems and safety at work (SGS) and their implications.
It should be noted that, as a compendium of theoretical concepts, the focus will be totally dedicated to the presentation of examples and case studies drawn from everyday contexts of care.
Slides provided by the teacher; Documents available on the Course website; reports provided by the students and validated by the teacher.
Frontal lessons with A-V devices support and classroom discussion. Seminars on specific topics.
Assessment methods and criteria
The achievement of learning objectives will be verified by the administration of a written questionnaire (15 questions) on specific topics-