Learning outcomes of the course unit
The classes will provide some interpretative tools, based on empirical data about the italian prisons system. The lessons will be present also the Restorative Justice Model.
Some speakers ( professionals, social and juridical workers) will be invited to participate in the class.
A basic knowledge about penal and prison italian law is requested.
Students of Social Work Degree are required to have passed the exam of Penal Law.
Students of Law Degree are required to have passed for exam of Penal Law 1.At the beginning of the classes, the professor will take care to the different study areas of students attending the classes, due the eligibility of the course. Any case, the professor will give a specific bibliography to students who need to improve the pre-requested skills.
Course contents summary
Classes will be oriented to present the origin of the scientific interest about criminality. The lessons will be expecially dedicated to the origin of the modern penal treatment models , especially to Restorative Justice (RJ) and the matters of italian prison system.
- Mannozzi G., Lodigiani G.A., Giustizia Riparativa. Ricostruire legami, ricostruire persone, Il Mulino, Bologna, 2015 ( pp. tot. 227).- Vianello F., Il carcere. Sociologia del penitenziario, Carocci, Roma, 2012 (pp. tot. 99).
Pagine TOTALI: 326
Not compulsory program:
- Campana D., Condannati a delinquere?, Angeli, Milano, 2009.
- Foucault M., Sorvegliare e punire. La nascita della prigione moderna, Einaudi, ult. rist. ( I ed. it.: 1976).
- Buffa p., I territori della pena, Ed. Gruppo Abele, 2006.- Garland D. Pena e società moderna. Uno studio di teoria sociale, Il Saggiatore, Milano, ed it.: 1999.
-Vezzadini S., Per una sociologia della vittima, Angeli, Milano, 2012.
- Manconi L., e al., Abolire il carcere, Chiare lettere, Milano, 2015.
For other degrees Students (not Social Work; not Law Degree) we reccomend the study of a prison law updated handbook, as: Mario Canepa, Sergio Merlo, Manuale di diritto penitenziario. Le norme, gli organi, le modalità dell'esecuzione delle sanzioni penali, Giuffrè, Milano; Massimo Pavarini, Bruno Guazzaloca, Corso di diritto penitenziario, Martina, Bologna; Leonardo Filippi, Giorgio Spangher, Manuale di diritto penitenziario, Giuffrè, Milano).
Face to face lessons, group debates with witnesses and workshops conducted by professionals ( mediators, social workers).Materials, documents, and papers will publish on the Elly platform. The professor will notice students even if some material is added.
Assessment methods and criteria
During the class, will be scheduled some intermediate tests.
Written final test will be composed by 3 open-ended questions ( students will have
2 hours to answer).
The professor will provide suppletive biblioghaphy during the classes, according on the interests of the students.
Students who will attend the lessons will be authorized to study another program ( it will be published when the lessons will start).The students may contact the professor by email or during the office hours.