Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to develop and optimize the most proper analytical method, evaluating its quality parameters.
Knowledge of basic principles of general and organic chemistry.
Course contents summary
The course will provide student with knowledge of theoretical principles and applications of instrumental analysis techniques (spectrophotometric, chromatographic and mass spectrometric methods).
Definition of population and sample. Population parameters and their estimators. Normal distribution. Standardized normal distribution. Hypothesis testing. Student's distribution. Student's test: comparison of two means.Comparison of two variances. Normality tests. Outliers (Dixon's test, Grubb's test). Analysis of variance. Multivariate statistical analysis: principal component analysis, linear discriminant analysis.
- Quantitative analysis
Linear regression. Residual analysis. Analysis of variance.Methods of quantitative analysis: external standard, internal standard, standard addition.
Systematic errors. Matrix effect. Certified reference materials.
Liquid extraction. Solid phase micro extraction (SPME). Solid phase extraction (SPE).
Sample derivatisation. GC derivatisation. HPLC derivatisation.
- Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry
Electron impect and chemical ionization sources. Quadrupole analyzer. Mass spectrometry spectrum. Full scan. Selected ion monitoring. Qualitative and quantitative mass spectrometric analysis. Isotopic dilution.
Electrospray ionization. tandem mass spectrometry. Triple quadrupole. Ionic trap. Product Ion Scan. Precursor Ion Scan. Neutral Loss Scan. Multiple Reaction Monitoring (MRM).
- J.N. Miller, J.C. Miller “Statistics and chemometrics for analytical chemistry” Pearson Prentice Hall
- D.L. Massart et al. “Handbook of chemometrics and qualimetrics” Part A Elsevier
- L. Soliani “Statistica applicate alla ricerca biologica e ambientale” UniNova
- S.R. Chrouch, F.J. Holler “Applications of Microsoft Excel in analytical chemistry” 2 ed Belmont C.A. Brooks/Cole
- D.A. Skoog, D.M. West, F.J. Holler, S.R. Crouch “Fondamenti di chimica analitica” Terza edizione EdiSES
- D.G. Watson “Analisi farmaceutica” EDRA
- P.Cabras, C.I.G. Tuberoso “Analisi dei prodotti alimentari” Piccin
- J. Pawliszyn “Comprehensive sampling and sample preparation” Elsevier (Volumi 2 and 4)
Frontal lessons and laboratory work
Assessment methods and criteria
Written report on laboratory work.