Learning outcomes of the course unit
- The students must possess a general knowledge of the main 20th-century Hispano-American literary and cultural manifestations and of the historical facts related to Latino-American reality.
- The students must be able to make reasoned and founded references to the authors and works which will be object of analysis during the course.
- The students must be able to understand and analyze the narrative texts in the original language, both from the stylistic/formal and the contents point of view.
- The students must be able to understand and explain the links between the artistic path of the authors treated and the geographical, historical and social context and to gather bibliographical information about the topics of the course.
- The students must be able to understand and explain the relationships among the texts belonging to the same author and among different authors and to propose original reading paths.
Course contents summary
The course will consist of a literary excursion through the themes of history, memory and testimony in Spanish American literature from the years of the Spanish Civil War to the present, with a detailed study of four works: España, aparta de mí este cáliz by César Vallejo ( 1939), Los perros del paraíso by Abel Posse (1983), La fiesta del chivo by Mario Vargas Llosa (2000) and Las cartas que no llegaron by Mauricio Rosencof (2002).
- José Miguel Oviedo, Historia de la literatura hispanoamericana. De Borges al presente, Vol. 4, Alianza, Madrid 2001.
- César Vallejo, España, aparta de mí este cáliz, in Opera poetica, a cura di Roberto Paoli, prologo di Antonio Melis, Gorée, Iesa 2008, vol. II, pp. 285-351.
- Mauricio Rosencof, Las cartas que no llegaron, Ediciones Alfaguara, Madrid 2002.
- Abel Posse, Los perros del paraíso, Plaza & Janes Ed., Barcelona 1993.
- Mario Vargas Llosa, La fiesta del chivo, Ediciones Alfaguara, Madrid 2006.
During the course, the frontal lessons might be supported by slides and video and audio documents. Supplementary materials will be provided in the online course, on the University platform.
Assessment methods and criteria
The test of the knowledge and the abilities already listed in the purposes of the course will be done through an oral exam in Italian.