Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course aims to achieve the following goals, in line with the "Dublin descriptors":
1. To know the basic terminology of pedagogy and education, as well as the main concepts of social pedagogy and media education.
2.1. To critically analyze and elaborate the concepts studied, linking themes, authors and trends.
2.2. To connect theories to cases of educational work, analyzed and understood with the specific conceptual tools of the discipline.
4. To communicate in writing their thoughts on educational issues.
Course contents summary
The course explores in a systematic way the issue of the educational needs expressed in social communities, especially those related to social inequalities, cultural changes and today's polycentric structure of the education system. In particular, we will explore the theme of educational design, seeing all the main phases, but especially those of the initial analysis of the context and educational needs, as well as the drafting of the project document. Finally, the last part of the course will be devoted to the role of media in implicit education, to the gap in the possession of digital skills and the opportunities provided by media literacy.
Four are the textbooks students must prepare:
• S. Tramma, Pedagogia sociale, Milano, Guerini, 2010 (new edition).
• C. Betti e C. Benelli (eds.), Gli adolescenti fra reale e virtuale. Scuola, famiglia e relazioni sociali, Milano, Unicopli, 2012 [except chapters 3 and 9].
• D. Felini, Pedagogia dei media. Questioni, percorsi e sviluppi, Brescia, La Scuola, 2004 [except chapter 5].
• D. Felini e R. Trinchero (a cura di), Progettare la media education. Dall'idea all'azione nella scuola e nei servizi educativi, Milano, FrancoAngeli, 2015.
Lecture, group discussion.
Assessment methods and criteria
The final evaluation will take place through a written examination consisting of three open questions (there is no term evaluation).
The questions will concern the concepts of social pedagogy and media pedagogy, the connection between terms, concepts, theories, trends and authors, and the link between theories and typical situations of the out-of-school educational work, especially with adolescents and youngsters.
It is considered sufficient the examination which shows, with proper language and terminology, the understanding of the basic concepts. The appropriate reference to authors and trends, the connection or comparison between theories, and the application of theory to practice (and vice versa) are elements that concur to determine a grade above satisfactory.
The program of the exam, and the advised books, are the same for any students, regardless of the program in which (s)he is enrolled.
This program is valid until Decembre 31, 2016; after this date, the only valid program is that of 2016/17.