Acquire a deeper knowledge of the biostratigraphy, its importance in obtaining a chronostratigraphic and biochronologic framework of sedimentary successions and in the Geological Time Scale, and its application in hydrocarbon exploration.
Course contents summary
• Biostratigraphy: definitions, biostratigraphic units, methods of biostratigraphic analysis, biozonations, biostratigraphic correlations.
• Biostratigraphy integrated with magnetostratigraphy, isotope stratigraphy and cyclostratigraphy.
• Biostratigraphy, Chronostratigraphy and Geological Time Scale.
• Biostratigraphy applied to sequence stratigraphy and hydrocarbon exploration.
• Practicals focused on the main calcareous plankton biostratigraphic markers.
McGowran B., 2005. Biostratigraphy. Microfossils and Geological Time. Cambridge University Press.