RECOMBINANT TECHNOLOGIES AND GENETIC ENGINEERING
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The aim of the course is to provide a theoretical knowledge and practical application of the recombinant technologies.
The main topics of the course are:
- the importance and purpose of gene cloning
- technologies and tools used in recombinant technologies
Some previous knowledge of biology, botany, microbiology, biochemistry
and chemistry is highly advisable, as well a good knowledge of English language.
Course contents summary
- Fundamental principles of gene cloning
- Enzymes used for recombinant DNA technology
- Isolation and purification of genomic and plasmid DNA
- Electrophoresis of nucleic acids
- Cloning vectors for bacteria
- Phage vectors: lambda and M13
- In vitro DNA synthesis (PCR)
- Site-specific mutagenesis
- Eukaryotic cloning vectors
- Construction and analysis of genomic libraries
- mRNA purification and cDNA synthesis
- Construction and analysis of cDNA libraries
- DNA sequencing
- Biotecnologie Molecolari. Principi e tecniche. Terry A.Brown. Zanichelli
- Dai geni ai genomi. Dale, von Schantz – EdiSES
- Analisi dei geni e genomi. Richard J.Reece – EdiSES
- Ingegneria genetica. Principi e tecniche. S. Primrose et al. Zanichelli
- DNA Ricombinante - J.D.Watson et al. Zanichelli
It is conducted through:
- theoretical classes by the teacher, followed by the individual work by
the student for preparation;
- training in laboratory;
- individual work for preparation of examination.
Assessment methods and criteria
Students can choose between two ways of examination:
- a written test, consisting in five questions on the topics of the course.
- the oral examination on the whole programme (Erasmus student; italian students who have taken the course before 2013/2014) .
In the first case, is necessary to have obtained a positive evaluation to be
admitted to the oral examination in plant-animal recombinant technologies.
Moreover, in both cases to be admitted to the oral examination the
student should prepare a report on laboratory training that will be
evaluated during the examination.
The oral examination verifies the knowledge acquired by the student and
the communication skills. The written exam and the laboratory report
verifies knowledge and application of knowledge. In all cases, the
learning ability is verified.