URBAN PLANNING AND DESIGN
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The Workshop aims to provide theoretical and practical tools for the
critical analysis of recent urban transformations. Intends in particular to
provide advanced knowledge about the main methods of planning and
technical knowledge for the methodological approach of the plan and the
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING - APPLYING KNOWLEDGE AND
The information obtained, especially the project experience, will allow the
student to develop specific communication skills and further learning on
the issues of urban planning and design
Course contents summary
Contents include the following main topics and general topics, each of
which is divided into an ordered group of lessons:
1. Introduction to urban planning
Definitions according to different lines of interpretation and disciplinary
perspectives. The contribution of specialist fields: geography and urban
economics, sociology, urban history, urbanism 'disciplinary'. Main
characters, i.e. economic motives, morphology, organization, planning, of
contemporary urban development. The geography and economy of urban
space, the system infrastructure, production, residence, commerce,
management, service. Scope and contents of following disciplines: urban
or urban design, spatial planning, town planning, urban geography,
2. The organization of the city
The organization of the city. Functional specialization and zoning. Urban
areas and units. The qualification of public space and the urban plan of
unity. Commercial functions and urban animation. Synergies and
conflicts. Shopping centers and peripheral urban settlements.
3. Theories of urban planning: the relationship between urban planning
and the protection and enhancement of the landscape, agricultural
structures and traditional rural settlements. The project of urban green
4. Techniques of urban design
Under the theme of urban design were held the following more specific
- The project in context of parts of the city: the storage, retrieval and
conversion of historic districts, the project of self-sufficient residential
neighborhoods, the project of new production facilities and new
- The relationship between urban planning and the protection and
enhancement of the landscape, agricultural structures and traditional
- The structures of mobility and urban design. Practice the design of
public spaces. Functional classification of roads. Features of the road.
Public transport and urban road network.
5. The project of the city from scratch.
And 'the central theme of the workshop, which aims to reflect on the
scenarios of contemporary urban design also through the examination of
case studies with the active participation of the students.
- Paul Claval, LA LOGIQUE DES VILLES, ESSAI D'URBANOLOGIE, Litec,
- Paolo Ventura (editor), THE FUTURE OF THE CITY, proceedings of the
First International Cost Conference held in Florence on 2-3/11/1998,
OPOCE, Bruxelles, 2001, pp. 192, ISBN 92-829-0520-9
- Robert Cowan, THE DICTIONARY OF URBANISM, Streetwise Press,
Tisbury, UK, 2005
- AA.VV., L'Atlas des Utopies, suppl. Le Monde hors-série - Sociéte éditrice
du Monde SA, Paris 2012
THEORIES OF URBAN PLANNING VERSUS ARCHITECTURE
- F'ssel, Prof. Dr. Stephan (CUR.), BRAUN HOGENBERG CITIES OF THE
WORLD, Historisches Museum Frankfurt, Taschen
- Peter Geoffrey Hall, CITIES OF TOMORROW: An Intellectual History of
Urban Planning and Design in the Twentieth Century, 1998, III ed.,
- Raymond Unwin, TOWN PLANNING IN PRACTICE, 1909, ed. it. LA
PRATICA DELLA PROGETTAZIONE URBANA, il Saggiatore 1971 e 1995.
- Kevin Lynch, A THEORY OF GOOD CITY FORM, The MIT Press,
Cambridge, Massachussetts, 1981, ed. it. PROGETTARE LA CITT'. LA
QUALIT' DELLA FORMA URBANA, Gruppo editoriale Fabbri, Bompagni,
Sonzogno, Etas SpA ,
- Jean Castex, Jean Charles Depaule, Philippe Panerai, FORMES
URBAINES: DE L'ILOT A LA BARRE, Paris, Dunod 1980, trad. it. Philippe
Panerai, L'ISOLATO URBANO, CLUP, Milano 1981
- David Mangin, Philippe Panerai, PROJET URBAIN, 'ditions Parenthèses,
- Augusto Mercandino, URBANISTICA TECNICA, Manuale per le indagini, le
proiezioni, la diagnosi e il progetto, Il Sole 24 ore, 2001, Milano ISBN 88-
- Paolo Colarossi Anton Pietro Latini (cur.), LA PROGETTAZIONE URBANA.
PRINCIPI E STORIE, Il Sole 24ORE SpA, Milano, 2007, ISBN 13 978-88-324-
- Pierre Merlin, LES VILLES NOUVELLES. URBANISME REGIONAL ET
AMENAGEMENT, Presses Universitaires de France, 1969, trad. it. LE
CITTA' NUOVE, Laterza, Bari 1971.
- Claude Chaline, LES VILLES NOUVELLES DANS LE MONDE, Presses
Universitaires de France, Paris, 1985.
TEMI E STRUMENTI DI PROGETTAZIONE URBANISTICA
- Institute of Transportation Engineers, RESIDENTIAL STREET DESIGN AND
TRAFFIC CONTROL, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey (USA)
1989, ed. it. Gian Paolo Corda (cur.), DISEGNO DI STRADE URBANE E
CONTROLLO DEL TRAFFICO, Hoepli, Milano 1993.
- Gian Franco Di Pietro, UN PROGETTO PER FIRENZE, Ponte alle Grazie,
- Dominique Gauzin-M'ller, L'ARCHITECTURE 'COLOGIQUE, Le Moniteur,
Paris capitolo: Urbanisme et développement durable.
- Paolo Ventura, CITTA' E STAZIONE FERROVIARIA, Firenze University
Press, II ed. Edifir, 2005, ISBN 88-7970-216-5, pp. 112 con scritto
introduttivo di Antonio Acuto
- Pietro Giorgieri, Paolo Ventura, STRADA STRADE, Edifir, Firenze, 2007,
con introduzione di Gian Franco Di Pietro
The course is organized as follows:
- Introductory lectures on the main topics
- Monographic research on new town case studies
- In-depth lessons
- Public discussion and coordination of student project step by step.
The workshop includes seminars with external lecturers from other
universities, as well as meetings and exchanges with other sections and
courses of the Workshop of Urban Planning and Design at the University