The course aims to provide students with a critical awareness of some fundamental concepts of ancient and modern western political thought.
Prerequisites are not required
Course contents summary
The course will analyse some of the main concepts in the ancient and modern Western political thought, by the study of the most significant authors and with particular regard to reflections on democracy and on freedom of thought, speech and the press.
1) E. Greblo, Democrazia, Il Mulino, Bologna 2000
2) M.L. Lanzillo, Tolleranza, Il Mulino, Bologna 2001
3) M. Barberis, Libertà, Il Mulino, Bologna 1999.
4) M.L. Lanzillo, (a cura), Libertà, Laterza, Roma-Bari 2008.
5) G. Bedeschi, Opinione pubblica, in Enciclopedia delle Scienze Sociali, Istituto dell'Enciclopedia Italiana Giovanni Treccani, Rome 1998, pp. 359-367.
Frontal lessons, during which will be analysed parts of the main classic texts of the political thought.