LABORATORY OF DRUG SYNTHESIS
Learning outcomes of the course unit
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
• to acquire knowledge and understanding of the basic principles of organic synthesis applied to medicinal chemistry and the main techniques used in the synthesis of bioactive compounds. APPLYING KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
The aim of practical exercise is to provide the student with an adequate capacity of applying the knowledge and the understanding acquired for the solution of the main problems in the field of synthesis and purification of bioactive compounds.
The execution of well-defined chemical synthesis in the laboratory will allow the student to self-assess its ability to move from theory to practice and viceversa.
Ability to communicate orally concepts and ideas using an appropriate technical language
Course contents summary
Lectures will deal with organic synthesis applied to the medicinal chemistry, with particular attention to innovative techniques and green chemistry. The course also provides practical exercises carried on in laboratory regarding the synthesis and purification of small bioactive compounds.
• I. VOGEL “Chimica Organica Pratica”, Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, Milano.
• D. PAVIA, G. LAMPMAN, G. KRIZ “Il Laboratorio di Chimica Organica”, Ed. Italiana a cura di P. Grunanger, D. Pocar; Sorbona.
• M. D’ISCHIA “La Chimica Organica in Laboratorio”, Piccin.
The course is supported by laboratory exercises. These exercises will be individual and practical and will give the opportunity to each student to approach independently the solution to different syntheses and purifications of compounds of pharmaceutical interest.
Assessment methods and criteria
For the determination of the final mark the following descriptors are adopted:
• knowledge and understanding of the subjects (up to 12/30);
• ability to apply the knowledge (up to 10/30);
• ability to communicate the learned knowledge and skills in verbal form through the appropriate use of the techinical language (up to 8/30).