PHYSICAL EXAMINATION OF THE PATIENT
Learning outcomes of the course unit
-GENERAL PATIENT OBSERVATION AND ASSESMENT
- POSTURE PATIENT ANALYSIS:ALLINEMENT,SYMMETRY,ASYMMETRY OF THE BODY(TRUNK,ARMS,LEGS, BALANCE)
- PHYSICAL EXAMINATION OF THE MUSCOLOSKELETAL COMPONENTS(BONE, JOINT,TENDON,LIGAMENT AND MUSCLE).
- PALPATORY EXAM BONES
- ACTIVE AND PASSIVE RANGE OF MOTION OF ALL JOINTS
- GONIOMETER MEASUREMENTS
- MUSCLE LENGTH EVALUATION
Course contents summary
General patient observation and assesment:
• posture patient analysis : allinement , symmetry, asymmetry of the body(trunk, arms, legs , balance)
physical examination of musculoskeletal components ( bone, joint, tendon, ligament and muscle).
• Inspection: evidence of scoliosis, kyphosis , lordosis, joint deformity; leg – length discrepancy; soft tissues swelling, muscle mass, scar, atrophy.
• Palpation : palpatory techniques of soft tissues (skin and fascia) bones, muscle and his consinstency, muscle contractures.
• Joint stability assesment
• Active and passive range of motion
• Goniometer measurements
Practical skills: patient assesement :
• inspection: patient posture, normal alignment, symmetries/asymmetries of the trunk and the limbs, analysis of the weight bearing distribution in the resting position and during daily life; demonstrations and practice between the students
• palpation of soft tissues, bone contours, principle points of main bones; demonstrations and practice between the students
• active range of motion; demonstrations and practice between the students
• passive range of motion; demonstrations and practice between the students
• registrations and annotations in the patient file.
- H.M.Clarkson "Valutazione Chinesiologica "Edizioni Ermes
- Kendall,McCreary,Provance"I Muscoli funzioni e test,postura e dolore "
(Quarta edizione) Edizioni Verducci
- J. Grieve,B. Tyldesley "Muscoli nervi e movimento" Edizioni Cortina
- Daniels e Worthingham “ esame del sistema muscolare” Edizioni Verducci
- J.Muscolino"Muscle and bone palpation manual" Mosby elsevier
Oral lessons and practical demonstration; WORKING GROUPS with demonstrations and practice between the students.
Assessment methods and criteria
Intermediate examination : Written (question answer about the program) – Practical (demonstration evaluation techniques)
•Final Examination: oral