VETERINARY CLINICAL OBSTETRICS
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Provide the knowledge and manual skills needed for clinical examination of the genital tract, to diagnose gynecological problems and Andrology (ultrasound examination) in small and large animals.
n particular, the student must be able to:
1) to know the clinical manifestations and diagnostic techniques of the various phases of the estrous cycle in the different species, in particular for the purpose of using artificial fertilization; to know the clinical manifestations and the diagnosis of reproductive pathologies of the female; to acquire the techniques for collecting semen material, of its evaluation in order to estimate the reproductive performance of the male; to know the clinical manifestations and the diagnosis of reproductive diseases of animals; know the physiological and pathological changes of the maternal organism and the diagnostic techniques in relation to pregnancy, childbirth and post-partum, and of the newborn.
2) At the end of the course the student must have independently acquired:
a) the ability to perform artificial fertilization and the evaluation of seminal material in different animal species (canine, bovine, equine, porcine);
b) the ability to use drugs appropriate for clinical diagnosis;
c) the ability to diagnose and evaluate pregnancy, eutocic delivery, dystocia and the possible need for cesarean delivery.
3) At the end of the educational path the student must be able to:
a) to autonomously correlate the anamnesis with the clinical and laboratory picture of the animal (gynecological and andrological aspect) through a differential diagnostic course;
b) describe and autonomously interpret the mother's clinical conditions during physiological and pathological pregnancy, establish the optimal time for artificial insemination and evaluate semen material;
c) autonomously formulate a prognostic judgment on the evolution of the pathology and the clinical picture.
4) At the end of the training the student must be able to:
a) to present the physiological and pathological pictures of gynecology, andrology and obstetrics and therapeutic indications in a clear, concise and comprehensive manner with appropriate technical terminology;
b) demonstrate the ability to present in a composite auditorium (students and teachers of the subject) the fundamental knowledge of the obstetric clinic and veterinary reproduction and the techniques of artificial fertilization in the different species.
At the end of the training the student must be able to:
a) To consult and autonomously understand scientific texts other than textbooks
b) Perform a bibliographic search independently
c) Possess a sufficiently broad mastery of the subject that allows him to understand the topics of the other clinical and non-clinical teachings
4) The student must demonstrate to be able to clearly communicate the knowledge learned during the execution of the procedures achievable by the veterinarian in the field of reproduction of pets and income for the prevention of reproductive diseases, in fertilization techniques artificial and birth control using a language appropriate to the interlocutor (communication).
as required by Degree Course Guidelines.
Course contents summary
The practical exercises will be held in the first instance on anatomical findings of theequine and bovine genital tracts, on which students will visit and perform simulations of FA, and cesarean surgery Caslick for the mare, ultrasound of the genital structures and possible pregnancies. Then the students will perform clinical and gynecological visits animals hosted by the Department for the practical work. Moreover, the semen collection from stallion and dog and the quality evaluation of the semen will be a practical topic.
Functional structures within the female genital tract and pregnant uterus;
Obstetrics surgical patterns;
The artificial insemination in domestic animals.
The clinical and ultrasonography examination in domestic animals.
The semen collection and evaluation in domestic animals.
BOTTARELLI F.: Fertilità e ipofertilità nella bovina. Ed. 'Tep Veterinaria' (1989)
CHRISTIANSEN J.: La riproduzione nel cane e nel gatto.Edizione italiana a cura di F. Cairoli e G. Bono EDI-ERMES (1987)
FELDMAN E. C.: Endocrinologia e riproduzione del cane e del gatto. - Seconda edizione UTET
OEHME F. W., PRIER J. E.: Text Book of Large Animal Surgery. The Williams & Wilkins Company Baltimore (1974)
Angus O. McKinnon James L. Voss. Equine reproduction. Blackwell publishing (1995).
Roberts S.J. Veterinary Obstetrics and genital deseases ( Theriogenology)
PARMIGIANI E.: Appunti di clinica osterica veterinaria e note di fecondazione artificiale. Ed. Coop. Universitaria 'Andrei Rublev' (1986)
RICTER, GOTZE: Ostetricia Veterinaria. Edizione italiana a cura di O.Oliva Editoriale Grasso
SLATTER D. H.: Trattato di chirurgia dei piccoli animali. Edizioni SBM Noceto (Parma)
Veterinary Obstetrics and Genital Diseases Roberts Distributed by Edwards Brothers inc. (1971)
OJ Ginther: Ultrasonic imaging and reproduction events in the mare. Equi Services WI 5328 USA
R.S. Youngquist - W. R. Threlfall - CURRENT THERAPY IN LARGE ANIMAL THERIOGENOLOGY, SECOND EDITION ISBN 10: 0-7216-9323-7 ISBN 13: 978-0-7216-9323-1 - 2007.
Seidel G.E. Jr, and Sarah Moore Seidel, 1991. Training manual for embryo transfer in cattle. http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/T0117E/T0117E00.htm#TOC.
Stringfellow D.A., Seidel S.M., 1998. Manual of the International Embryo Transfer Society – Third Edition.
Practice in the dissecting room using genitalia cows and mares. During which the student must be able to recognize the different portions genitals, ovarian structures as a function of estrous stage, simulate artificial insemination, ultrasonography of the reproductive tract and pregnancy, vulvar plastic surgery (Caslick) for the mare. In a second step tutorials will take place using the animals housed at the departmental structures (mares, stallions, cattle) and companion animal hospital in the activities at the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital.
Assessment methods and criteria
To evaluate the practical capacity is require to perform some surgical stiches and to read and describe some ultrasound images