FUNDAMENTALS OF FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Course of Fundaments of Food Science and Technologies is a part of integrated course of Prevention Sciences Applied to Food Safety.
The course presents the objective to allow the student knowing and understanding essential elements of food safety, processing, machineries safety with the aim to allow the students, using obtained knowledge and comprehension, identifying and recognizing the main food processing and preservation methods and applying them good manufacturing practices and requisites ordered by laws for different food categories.
Knowledge of workers safety and chemistry
Course contents summary
The first part of the course deals with general issues of food technology such as food preservation, causes of alteration and most important pathogens for food borne diseases and food legislation.
The second part of the course contend with main production processes in the most important food supply chain as cereals, meat products, milk product wine with reference to specific appliances and related risks.
The third and last part deals with some important risks of the food industry such as mechanical risk and related protections, microclimatic risk, confined environment and explosion risk.
- Fundaments of food preservation;
- Food labeling (D. Lgs. 109/92 e Reg. 1169/2011 and further integrations) e allergens directive (89/2003 and further integrations);
- cereal industry: from grain to flour, processes technologies and equipments
- Tests for flours quality evaluation
- Bread and pasta, processes technologies and equipments;
- Alcoholic beverages: beer and wine processes technologies and equipments;
- Meat industry, processes technologies and equipments;
- Milk industry, processes technologies and equipments;
- Machineries safety, Decreto legislativo 17/ 2010 Norma UNI EN 953/2009 - Norma UNI EN 13857/2008);
- risks in fermentation supply chain (with reference to microclimate and confided environments)
- ATEX risk in food industry (cereal and sugar supply chain)
Educational material given by teacher during classes
Assessment methods and criteria
Achievement of course’s goals will be evaluated by means of a written examination followed by an elective oral part. By questions about course content knowledge and understanding level achieved by the student will be tested. By means of questions about hygienic and workers’ risks prevention applied to a certain food industry sector, the ability of the student to apply the acquired knowledge will be tested
The student at the end of the course, by using the information of chemistry, hygiene, safety in work environments acquired in previous courses must demonstrate ability and knowledge about:
- process flow-sheet of most important food categories such as bakery products, milk products, meat products and wine products
- reference laws both transversal and specific for certain food categories
- plant and equipment layouts and risks for workers related to the utilization of them
- food labeling law for prepacked and not packed foods
Moreover, the student, using obtained knowledge and comprehension. will be able also in collaboration with other professionals to:
- contribute to food borne diseases prevention
- recognize and identify problems related to food equipments
- know and verify an HACCP plan