LABORATORY FOR STRUCTURE DESIGN AND CONTROL
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge and understanding:
At the end of the course the student will learn the theoretical bases and
the fundamental methodologies for the design and verification of the
structural elements of a masonry building. The students will learn the
basic behavior of the materials (wood, reinforced concrete, masonry) and
how to conceive structural details.
Applying knowledge and understanding
The student should acquire all those skills which are the basis of a
conscious design and will be able in a systematic way to fit within the
The student will govern the procedure adopted in the current design
practice, with a constant link between the theoretical knowledge and the
The confidence gained through a constant connection between
theoretical knowledge and applications, will allow the student to possess
the necessary skills for results presentation
The student will be able to design the structural elements of a masonry
The courses of Statics, Structural mechanics, and Structural Engineering
Course contents summary
The course aims to provide the fundamentals for the structural design
under static loads of several parts of a masonry building with wood or
reinforced concrete diaphragms. The contents of the course are listed
1. Design of masonry walls under static loads: simplified dimensioning.
Verification of unreinforced masonry walls subjected to mainly vertical
loading. Masonry walls subjected to shear loading. Masonry walls
subjected to lateral loading. Unreinforced masonry walls subjected to
combined vertical and lateral loading. Method using factor.
2. Design criteria for horizontal diaphragms, and for link structures, in
- Characterization of the most used structural materials: concrete, steel,
- Construction techniques of diaphragms: floors in reinforced concrete,
steel, or wood.
- Reinforced concrete floors: dimensioning, structural details, design and
- Wooden floors: typologies, dimensioning, design and verifications.
- Timber roofs: typologies, dimensioning, design and verifications.
- Stairs: structural schemes, dimensioning, design and verifications.
- Iacobelli F., "Progetto e verifica delle costruzioni in muratura in zona
sismica", EPC libri.
- Carbone I.V., Fiore A., Pistone G., "Le costruzioni in muratura", Hoepli.
- Piazza M., Tomasi R., Modena R., "Strutture in legno", Hoepli.
- Cosenza E., Manfredi G., Pecce M., "Strutture in cemento armato - Le
basi della progettazione", Hoepli.
- Lenza P., Ghersi A., Calderoni B., "Edifici in muratura alla luce della
nuova normativa sismica", Dario Flaccovio Editore
All the teaching material is available via the portal “Web LEArning in
Ateneo” (LEA UNIPR).
The course is composed of traditional frontal lectures, also with
Theoretical concepts are applied during the course by carrying out the
step-by-step design of a masonry/wood building.
Assessment methods and criteria
The written examination consists in the calculation reports and an oral
discussion with the teacher. The level of student learning can be
measured as follows:
Masonry building report 100% divided as follows:
10% analysis of actions,
30% masonry walls verifications,
20% reinforced concrete floors design,
30% timber roof elements design,
10% stair design
As for all the laboratories, attending the courses is required.