FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (2nd UNIT)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- To present principles of food unit operations and processes, with some examples
of the corresponding equipment.
- Food chemistry and microbiology fundaments
- Understanding written English.
Course contents summary
- Cleaning of equipment and raw materials.
- Cutting and dimension reduction.
- Phase and component separation.
- Mixing, incorporating, structuring.
- Heat treatments.
- Drying and freeze drying.
- Cooling and freezing.
- Not conventional heating and cold processing.
- P. J. Fellows “Food Processing Technology: Principles and Practice”
R. L. Earle “Unit Operations in Food Processing” http://www.nzifst.org.nz/unitoperations/index.htm
J.G. Brennan “Food Processing Handbook” http://www.kelm.ftn.uns.ac.rs/literatura/pdms/FoodProcessingHandbook.pdf
Assessment methods and criteria