COMPLEMENTS OF HYDRAULICS
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge and understanding:
At the end of this course the student should know the main theoretical and applicative aspects of Fluid Mechanics for planning industrial hydraulic plants, river structures and maritime structures.
Applying knowledge and understanding:
The student should be able to describe the physical process by using applied mathematics; to select the parameters and the variables involved in the process; to solve the most common applicative cases checking the results with engineering approach.
By the end of the course, the student should be able to evaluate the reliability of the simplified models or the need to adopt advanced models.
The student should be able to clearly present the results of the analysis, in oral or written form, also by means of tables and charts.
Differential analysis, Geometry, Rational Mechanics, Physics.
Course contents summary
The course provides the students with the necessary knowledge related with hydraulics and fluid mechanics. The students shall be able to solve some technical problems of environmental hydraulics, river and maritime hydraulics.Numerical exercises about the topics listed in the program will be developed.
Non stationary flows. Economical planning of pipelines. Pumping systems. Syphons. Mass oscillations. Hydraulic hammers. Air tank for controlling water hammer. Lateral discharge. Gradually varied flows. Sediment transport. Morphodynamics. Helmoltz decomposition of vectorial fields. Gravity waves: linear theory and finite amplitude theory. Energy propagation in gravity waves. Shoaling, Refraction, Diffraction. Seiches in horbours. Breaking waves.
• Citrini, D. e Noseda, G., 1982. Idraulica. Casa Ed. Ambrosiana, Milano, pp x +468.
• Marchi, E. e Rubatta, A., 1981. Meccanica dei fluidi, UTET, Torino, pp xvi+800, ISBN 88 02 03659 4
• Longo, S., 2011. Appunti di Idraulica Marittima,Parte I: La teoria delle onde. ISBN 978-88-64450-18-6, III+146 pp.
• Longo, S. e Tanda, M.G., 2009. Esercizi di Idraulica e di Meccanica dei Fluidi. Springer & Verlag Italia, Collana
UNITEXT Ingegneria, ISBN 978-88-470-1347-6, V+386 pp.
• Alfonsi, G. e Orsi, E., 1984. Problemi di Idraulica e Meccanica dei fluidi. Casa Ed. Ambrosiana, Milano, pp 507,
ISBN 88 408 0735 7
• Ghetti, A., 1996. Idraulica. Edizioni Libreria Cortina, Padova, pp xi+566, ISBN 88 7784 052 8
• Longo, S., Appunti sul colpo d’ariete.
Lessons with the use of a PC tablet connected to a projector, used as multimedia board. Projection of video educational. Solving numerical exercises.
Assessment methods and criteria
The examination is based on a written exam and an oral exam. Admission to the oral exam is subject to passing the written exam. The score is weighted as follows: 50% written test; 50% oral exam.
Lectures attendance is highly recommended.