Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student learns about electric circuits, elecromehanical systems and their applications; understands plans, symbols and meaming of electric project for industrial and civil buildings.
The student applies knowledge and undestanding by solving exercices, in the classroom or at home, that refer to engineering practice.
A written report is required to illustrate specific themes
Mathematics, Calculus, Elecricity and Magnetism
Course contents summary
Basic of electric linear circuit theory.
- Analysis of DC electric circuits
- From Maxwell field theory to lumped parameters circuits. Fields, charge and current.
- Kirchhoff’s current and voltage laws.
- Parallel and series connections for linear circuits. Wye-Delta transformation.
- Node and loop analysis.
- Network theorems. Thevenin’s and Norton’s theorem. Maximum power transfer theorem.
Transient analysis of electric circuits
- Inductors, Capacitors and duality.
- First order RL and RC circuits.
Analysis of AC electric circuits
- Phasor representatives of sinusoidal signals.
- Steady-state circuit analysis using phasors.
- Sinusoidal steady-state power calculations.
- Analysis of Three-Phase circuits.
- Economical aspects of transmitting electric power.
- Magnetically coupled circuits and transformers.
- Frequency Response of linear circuits. Bode Plots.
- Induction motors
- Fundamental of power systems: trend toward growing power output of new thermal, nuclear, alternative and water generating station, electrical distribution systems of great and low magnitude, single phase transmission and 3-phase transmission.
- Engineering of electrical transmission lines: resistance, inductance, inductive reactance, capacitance, capacitive reactance. Transmission linear models: the short transmission line, the medium lenght line, the long transmission line. Power cables (low, medium, high and extremely high voltage). Low voltage cables (good polymers and compound workability, cost and competivity).
Fundamental of power flow solution: scope of power systems analysis, faults, protection and stability.
Engineering of industrial and civil ambient.
- Plans and sitework: Electrical project of civil and industrial ambient, construction plans, explanations of plan symbols and sitework.
- the unit substation: high voltage section, the transformation section, the low voltage section, high voltage meetering equipment.
- feeder bus systems: feeder ducts, the circuit breaker cubicles, plug-in bus way, bus plugs, branch circuit.
- Installation of capacitor to reduce the reactive power. The protection against lightning.
- Systems protection:system protection , circuit breaker, time current characteristic and charts, fuse time-current characteristics charts, ground-fault protected time current charateristic chart, coordination.
- Special equipment: the precipitation unit, the fan asssembly, the ventilator, the cooling equipment, the fire alarm systems,
- Motors and controllers: machines and their motors, motor types single-speed squirrel –cage induction motor, DC power supplies.
- Illumination calculation and diagram: the lumen method, coefficient of utilization, point by point method, illumination diag
V. Cataliotti - A. Cataliotti: Impianti elettrici in grandi edifici e buiding automation: progetto, direzione dei lavori, collaudo. Flaccovio Editore.Palermo. 2005. - Disponibile in Biblioteca politecnica di Ingegneria e Architettura.
Vezzani: Elementi di progettazione elettrica. TNE. Torino 2001 - Disponibile in Biblioteca politecnica di Ingegneria e Architettura
Guarnieri-Stella: Principi ed Applicazioni di Elettrotecnica. Edizioni progetto Padova, 2001 - Disponibile in Biblioteca politecnica di Ingegneria e Architettura
Lecture notes will be provided by the teacher.
Lectures and numerical exercises in the classroomt
Assessment methods and criteria
The examination can be passed in two ways. In the first, with two written exercices about dimensioning the electrical and illumination project of civil buildings during the semester; a (non mandatory) oral examination might improve the score up to 6 points. In the second, during the exam session, a written exercise and an oral examination are foreseen.