GENETICS OF DEVELOPMENT AND EPIGENETICS
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Educational objectives of the course are:
- A thorough knowledge of the model systems for the study of complex processes such as development, differentiation and cell division;
- The acquisition of genetic concepts and methodologies, with particular regard to those used in the genetic dissection of complex processes;
- The ability to understand and develop methods of genetics and molecular genetics that may find useful applications in biological and biomedical research and in biotechnology;
- The ability to frame scientific issues and to identify experimental strategies to achieving the objectives;
- The ability to apply knowledge to solve specific problems in the context of research related to the field of study;
- The achievement of communication skills and independent judgment.
knowledge of genetics, molecular genetics and biochemistry
Course contents summary
The course aims to analyse the genetic basis for the regulation of development, differentiation and proliferation addressed through the study of unicellular and multicellular model organisms based on their characteristics.
Moreover the course aims to identify, by using model organism,the contribute of genetics information on gene expression and development.
Eukaryotic model organisms
The cell cycle in yeasts, molluscs, amphibians and echinoderms, Homo sapiens and check point mechanisms.
Control of the pheromone signalling pathway in S. cerevisiae
Control of apoptosis in Caenorhabtidis elegans
Control of development in Drosophila melanogaster
Eukaryotic model organisms
Silencing, Imprinting, Dosage compensation
Course materials provided by the professor -Chapters of genetics texts regarding Developmental Genetics
Carrol et al. Dal DNA alla diversita - Evoluzione molecolare del progetto corporeo animale Ed. Zanichelli
Allis et al. Epigenetics Marie-Laure Caparassos Ed.
During the lessons we will discuss the genetic strategies and methodologies used for the advancement of knowledge in the genetic dissection of complex processes also highlighting areas of uncertainty and knowledge gaps. The course will be supported by readings and class discussions of specific cases aiming, in particular, to stimulate the ability to frame and deepen scientific problems, achieve communication skills and to stimulate making judgment.
Assessment methods and criteria
The final verification provides:
- An oral part aimed at confirming the knowledge of the model systems, the concepts and methods used for the genetic advancement of knowledge in the genetic dissection of complex processes and the ability to apply knowledge to solve specific problems;
- a file of presentation and discussion of scientific work related to the field of study in order to verify the ability to frame the scientific problem, the experimental strategies used and their suitability to achieve the objectives.