Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student will be able to:
- identify their own beliefs about the process of empirical educational research;
- identify the theoretical and methodological choices of quantitative and qualitative educational research;
- identify an empirical research design adequate to a specific educational situation.
Course contents summary
- Planning, quantitative and qualitative research in education.
- Quantitative and qualitative educational research design.
- Conducting educational research: data collection, analysis and interpretation.
- Critical evaluation of educational research.
A bibliography will be handed out on the first day of class
Educational activities will be conducted focusing on active learning methods (interactive lectures, case studies, simulations) with a continuous enhancement of direct experiences of the participants, interactions between individuals in learning and interconnections with other courses. The classroom activities (interactive lectures, guided discussions, teamwork) will be supported by the use of authentic materials and presentations on computer.
Assessment methods and criteria
The learning process will be monitored continuously during classroom activities through the solicitation of feedback.
Summative assessment will be performed by an oral examination. The students will be able to apply in a specific case content and skills promoted during classroom activities.