Learning outcomes of the course unit
- The students must possess a general knowledge of the main 20th-century Hispano-American literary and cultural manifestations and of the historical facts related to Latino-American reality.
- The students must be able to make reasoned and founded references to the authors and works which will be object of analysis during the course.
- The students must be able to understand and analyze the narrative texts in the original language, both from the stylistic/formal and the contents point of view.
- The students must be able to understand and explain the links between the artistic path of the authors treated and the geographical, historical and social context and to gather bibliographical information about the topics of the course.
- The students must be able to understand and explain the relationships among the texts belonging to the same author and among different authors and to propose original reading paths.
Course contents summary
During the course we will study the characteristics of the new Spanish-American historical novel through reading and analysis of the works of three authors . After an introductory course in the issues of the relationship between fiction and history, the literary construction around historical figures and the role of the narrator and the interference between invention and testimony, we will study in deep the following topics: Tomás Eloy Martínez and his critical interpretation of Peronism and the cult of Eva Duarte Peron; parody and the reworking of historical myths of the conquest of America in the work of Abel Posse; reflection on the relationship between politics, religion and ideological fanaticism through the epic reconstruction of the historical past in the Brazilian novel by Mario Vargas Llosa.
- José Miguel Oviedo, Historia de la literatura hispanoamericana. De Borges al presente, Vol. 4, Madrid, Alianza, 2001
- Tomás Eloy Martínez, Santa Evita
- Abel Posse, Los perros del paraíso
- Mario Vargas Llosa, La guerra del fin del mundo
During the course, the frontal lessons might be supported by slides and video and audio documents. Supplementary materials will be provided in the online course, on the University platform.
Assessment methods and criteria
The test of the knowledge and the abilities already listed in the purposes of the course will be done through an oral exam in Italian.