Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course of Surgical Management (previously "Perioperative Surgery") is inserted in the Integrated Course of Perioperative Medicine.
The course has the objective to allow the student knowing and understanding the essentials of the management of the surgical patient before and after surgery, also with the purpose to let the student achieving the ability to use the knowledge and the understanding in planning the most appropriate assistance to the patient undergoing surgery.
Results of the learning
The student, at the end of the course, also using the knowledge of anatomy, biology, physiology, general pathology and psychology already acquired previously, must show to have achieved the knowledge and the ability of understanding:
- The clinical organization and interpretation of the problems of the patient
- The indications to the common manoeuvres to be performed at the bed of the patient before and after the surgical intervention
- The indications and management of the digestive stomas
Moreover, the student, applying the knowledge and the understanding achieved, must be able, also collaborating with other professionals,
- To contribute to the prevention and the early diagnosis of the most common surgical complications
- To identify the problems associated to the surgical disease
- To plan an adequate assistance
Course contents summary
1-organization of the patient undergoing abdominal surgery
- personal history and physical examination
- laboratory examinations
- antibiotic prophylaxis
- tromboembolic prophylaxis
- bowel preparation
- naso-gastric tube positioning
- bladder catheter positioning
- central venous cateterismo
- drains in abdominal surgery
2. digestive stomas
3. surgical wounds
- management of the wound
Alloni R, Destrebecq A, Gianotti L, Poma S. Infermieristica Clinica in Chirurgia. Ulrico Hoepli Editore, Milano; 2005.
Diapositive ed appunti verranno consegnate alla fine del corso.
Classroom lectures implying the use of multimedial methods and discussion.
Assessment methods and criteria
The evaluation of the achievement of course’s objectives is an oral examination.
Answering questions concerning the contents of the course, it will be verified if the student has reached an adequate knowledge and understanding. Answering questions concerning strategies of prevention and assistance planning, it will be verified if the student has reached the objective to apply the acquired knowledge.