Learning outcomes of the course unit
The integrated course of Surgical Clinic aims to enable the student to know and to understand the essential elements of etiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment of most important surgical diseases and nursing essentials applied in the field of surgical asistence, also in order to allow the student the ability to use the knowledge and understanding gained in identifying the patient care issues related to the condition of the person affected by surgical disease and prepare a care plan adjusted.
The student at the end of the course, using the knowledge of anatomy, biology, physiology, pathology and general psychology previously acquired will need to demonstrate knowledge and understanding about:
- The pathophysiologic phenomena that are the basis of events related to surgical pathology and surgery
- The most frequent complications that can meet the surgical patient
- The causes and consequences of the main syndromes of surgical interest such as occlusion, peritonitis, bleeding digestive
- The causes and consequences of major organ pathologies of surgical interest
- Care issues of patients undergoing surgery
The student also applying the knowledge and understanding acquired, shall be able, even collaborating with other professionals, to
- Contribute to the prevention of complications that can meet the patient suffering from general surgical pathology
- Identify the problems associated with surgical pathology
- Prepare a care plan appropriately.
Knowledge of anatomy and phisiology
Course contents summary
The lessons cover general topics such as nursing assessment preoperatively, the operative risk and its prevention, the body's response to external factors that hinder homeostasis such as stress and shock, infection and healing of wounds.
Specific topics where special attention is paid are those relating to legal and bioethical: informed consent, the right to information, the responsibility of the nurse.
Part of the course is devoted to the discussion of the basic elements of etiology, diagnosis and treatment of the most common surgical diseases and organ of the most important syndromes of surgical interest.
The program includes
elements of general surgery
elements of surgery specilaistica
elements of nursing in general surgery
elements of nursing in thoracic and vascular surgery
1. Patologia Toracica di interesse chirurgico. Carbognani-Rusca-Bobbio. Edizioni Minerva medica
2. Alloni R, Destrebecq A, Gianotti L, Poma S. Infermieristica Clinica in Chirurgia. Hoepli, Milano
Lukmann/Soresen, IL TRATTATO COMPLETO DEL NURSING. E Piccin
• Carpenito:PIANI DI ASSISTENZA INFERMIERISTICA ed. Ambrosiana
lectures using audiovisual tools and classroom discussion
Assessment methods and criteria
The assessment of the achievement of the objectives of the course consists of an oral examination. Through questions about the contents of the course will be determined whether the student has achieved the goal of knowledge and understanding of the content. Through questions regarding prevention strategies and preparation of a care plan will be determined whether the student has achieved the aim of applying the acquired knowledge