Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course aims to enable the student to know and to understand the essential elements of etiology, symptomatology, diagnosis prevention and treatment of major pathological conditions of general surgical interest, also in order to allow the student the ability to use knowledge and understanding acquired in identifying the problems of the surgical patient in the perioperative period and to prepare a care plan in adequate autonomy.
The student also applying the knowledge and understanding acquired, shall be able, even collaborating with other professionals, to
- Contribute to the prevention of complications that can meet the surgical patient
- Identify the problems related to the surgical pathology from which the patient is suffering
- Prepare a care plan appropriate in the pre / intra / post-operative
- Identify and recognize the variables and objective data / subjective pre-operative, intra-operative, post-operative;
- Identify problems / needs and diagnosis real, potential and collaborative;
- Identify the goals of care and risk factors to prevent complications
- Create a plan of activities and assessed in terms of its objectives;
Course contents summary
The course of Perioperative Nursing
(2CFU) is part of the Teaching or Integrated course of Perioperative Medicine.
The lectures cover the following topics:
- The phases of perioperative Nursing
- Assessment of risk factors, preparation, monitoring and planning of care of the surgical patient education and evaluation
- Skills and role of the surgical and concepts related to operating segment (aseptic surgical scrub, security and co terminology)
- Events related to surgery such as fever, stress, the processes of wound healing, pain.
- Nursing post operative (dressings, drains, therapy, transfusions)
- Nursing ostomy digestive
- The most frequent postoperative complication that can meet the surgical patient-related risk factors
The program is divided into three phases:
• Basic concepts of perioperative nursing.
• Definition of "patient" and "privacy."
• Define and distinguish the categories of surgery.
• perioperative area and hospital (Fast Track surgery)
• Welcome to the patient and communication.
• Evaluation of physical / psychosocial risk factors of the patient.
• Nursing care / preparation of the patient undergoing surgery (pre intervention therapy and education, informed consent, anesthesia tag).
• Welcome to the patient in the sector (surgical team, preparation and roles).
• Washing of hands and surgical concept of sepsis
• Basic concepts of general anesthesia and locoregional
• Nursing intra-operative (surgical positions common security co)
• Potential complications of intra-operative
• Nursing and monitoring c.o. awakenings and dining
• Nursing in "recovery room" and T.I.P.O
• Welcome to the pc in the ward (yellow anesthetic)
• Nursing and monitoring postoperative immediate and deferred
• Possible post-operative complications
• Pain (evaluation and analgesia)
• Definition of suture
• Surgical Wound (healing modalities, complications, medication)
• Drainage (indications, types, nursing management)
• Assistance to patients undergoing colorectal
• Nursing ostomy digestive (pre-and post-surgery, possible complications)
• Mention therapy and administration transfusion.
- Nursing the surgical patient Mc Graw-Hill
- Nursing Perioperative P.Wicker, J.O 'Neill, 2007 Mc Graw-Hill
- The complete treatise on nursing Luckman, Sorensen's, Joyce M. Black Matassapin, E. Jacobs
- Medical-Surgical Nursing; Brunner, Ed Suddarth Ambrosiana
- The person stomizzata, care, treatment and rehabilitation; T.Porret, A.McGrath 2006 Mc Graw Hill milano
- Notebook of Nursing basic I.Agnelli, M. Canossa, P. Chiari, P.Corazza, R. Dall'ovo, A.M. Pongolini 2000 ed.Nettuno Parma
- Guidelines of the CDC in Atlanta
During the lectures will discuss the issues related to nursing care to surgical patient, through lectures with the use of visual aids, vision of tools and aids hospital and classroom discussion with students.
Assessment methods and criteria
The entire teaching learning occurred during the course sometimes with a multiple choice test of 30 questions (to pass the exam with at least 15 must be just enough) also there is a final written exam, consisting of two questions with type of open-ended questions.
The rating is awarded in 30/30 to pass the exam both questions must be filled in correctly.