APPLIED MEDICAL TECHNICAL SCIENCES
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student is expected to learn the systems for the rehabilitation and treatment of functional amblyopia and forms of convergence insufficiency as well as orthoptic treatment in alterations of the extrinsic ocular motility.
Course contents summary
- Treatment of functional ambylopia;
- Occlusive treatment: total, partial or maintenance with filters;
- Treatment with penalisation: pharmacological or optical;
- Treatment of convergence insufficiency: fusional vergencie with prisme, phisiological diplopia, fusional amplitude measured with synoptophore;
- Therapy for accomodative convergent strabismus with high AC/A;
- Accomodative relaxation exercises with red filter, phisiological diplopia and bar reading, fusional vergences in divergence, fusional amplitude in divergence with the synoptophore's arms placed at the patient's angle of deviation;
- Nygstasmus treatment: external base prisms if the blok is in convergence, homologous base prisms in presence of torticollis with nystagmus stop;
- Prismatic treatment of both paralytic strabismus and decompensated convergent with single binocular vision.
Gunter K. Von Noorten: 'Visione binoculare e motilità oculare', Ed.Medical Books
M. Maione, G. Maraini: 'L'unità visiva sensorio-motoria", Ed. Libreria Goliardica (PR)
Lectures and practices. The student will attend the orthotic center of the UOC Ophthalmology of the University Hospital of Parma, where, through activities with tutors, will be addressed and discussed clinical cases of squint and amblyopia.
Assessment methods and criteria