Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course aims to bring students to know and understand the psychophysical techniques for the study of color vision. At the end of the course the student must demonstrate the ability to use the knowledge and understanding of the psychophysical phenomena to diagnose deficiencies and vision anomalies such as color blindness.
Course contents summary
Light and visual function. From the photometry to color vision.
- elements of the physiology of color vision
- lighting and light sources of CIE
- radiometric quantities and International System
- photometric quantities: CIE 1924 and CIE 1988
- space for a number of observers of the tristimulus (CIE 1931, CIE 1964) and
references XYZ and RGB
- Vos observer
- CIE 1976 psychometric spaces: CIELAB and CIELUV
- measurement of spectral reflectance factor,instruments as recommended by CIE
- fluorescent colors
- color atlases: Munsell, DIN, OSA-UCS, NCS
- clinical tests for diagnosis of color vision
Text book: Claudio Oleari ed, Misurare il colore, Hoepli editore, Milano 2008
Elements of physiology of the visual system. CIE standard illuminants and standard light sources .
radiometric quantities (International System). Photometric quantities (CIE 1924 and CIE 1988 standard photometric observers). Tristimulus space and conventional observers (CIE31, CIE64and VOS) and reference frames (RGB, XYZ, LMS, …). Psychometric systems CIE 1976 (CIELAB and CIELUV). Spectral reflectance factor measurement. Colorimetric computations. Screen plate printing. Television, computer monitor, digital camera, scanner (sRGB standard). Fluorescent colours. Colour atlases (Munsell, DIN, OSA-UCS, NCS).
Dichromats and related tests. Colour filters and human color vision
C.Oleari. Misurare il Colore. Hoepli Editore, Milano 2008.
Teacher's didactical notes.
Oral and practice lecture in the classroom and a visit at a psychophysical laboratory.
Assessment methods and criteria
The examination is oral and has the purpose of ascertaining whether the student knows and understands the psychophysical techniques in the study of color vision and has the ability to use knowledge and understanding of the psychophysical phenomena in diagnosing deficiencies and visual abnormalities such as color blindness.