ANALYSIS AND REUSE OF HISTORICAL ARCHITECTURE
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge and understanding capabilities:
At the end of the course, the student will have a wide and critical view of the operational issues of knowledge and conservation of historical buildings.
Through the design activity and the theoretical analyses, the student will develop a critical ability to face and solve the many problems of intervening on existing buildings
It is necessary to know the fundamental aspects of survey, restoration, architectural history, statics and materials sciences.
Course contents summary
The Final Synthesis Laboratory in Analysis and Reuse of Historical Architecture is composed of several modules, in the fields of Survey, Restoration, Architectural History and Strengthening of Constructions.
More specifically, the Laboratory is composed of the following modules:
- Analysis and evaluation of the transformability of existing architectures.
- The knowledge of materials: characteristics, laboratory analysis, decay phenomena.
- Examples of strengthening and restoration interventions.
- The history of architecture: a double-edged sword in the hands of the restorer.
- Innovative methods for architectural survey.
- Monitoring and control of existing building as a conservation strategy.
- Dimensional and proportional principles between aesthetics and statics.
- Earthquakes: damages and conservation problems for the historical architectural heritage.
The laboratory is organized with direct lectures in the first part and practical design activities in the second part, preliminary to the final master thesis work.
- “Linee guida per la valutazione e la riduzione del rischio sismico del patrimonio culturale” (scaricabile dal sito del Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali: http://www.beniculturali.it/mibac/export/MiBAC/sito-MiBAC/Contenuti/Avvi...)
- AA.VV., Trattato sul consolidamento, Mancosu Editore, 2008.
- Giuriani Ezio, Consolidamento Edifici Storici, Utet Tecnico, 2012, ISBN: 9788859807636
- G. Tampone, M. Mannucci, N. Macchioni, Strutture di legno: Cultura, conservazione, restauro, Edizioni De Lettera, Milano 2002.
- M. Como, Statica delle costruzioni storiche in muratura. Aracne, luglio 2010.
- E. Mandelli, I Palazzi del Rinascimento, Alinea, Firenze, 1989
- C. Mezzetti (a cura di), La rappresentazione dell'architettura: storia, metodi, immagini, Edizioni Kappa, Roma, 2000.
- G. Cento, Rilievo edilizio architettonico, Vitali e Ghianda, Genova, 1959.
- J. P. Saint Aubin, Il rilievo e la rappresentazione dell'architettura, Bergamo 1999.
More didactic material can be found in the course’s website.
The course is composed of traditional lectures (taught class), also with Powerpoint presentations, and reviews, in the first period, and of group reviews, mainly in the second period.
Assessment methods and criteria
During the course there will be two collective reviews, one at the end of the knowledge path and one at the end of the course: in these occasions, each group will present (with Powerpoint or similar) its own work progress to the teachers and to the other students. These occasions are important both to exercise the communication skills of the students and to exchange and compare experiences among the different groups.
At the end of the laboratory, an oral examination will allow to assess the preparation of every single students.
As for all the laboratories, attending the courses is compulsory.