Learning outcomes of the course unit
The main objective of the course is to provide the basic tools for a feasible design of buildings; in this way, the student will be able to correctly understand the building process, overcoming the traditional separation between architectural, structural and technical design, as well as between the design phase and the executive one.
To this scope, the behavior of structural elements will be carefully analyzed, with particular reference to material choice (steel, wood, reinforced concrete, masonry) and to the most common structural typologies. The main rules for structural design and verification will be also explained, according to Italian codes. More in details, the course will be focused on the analysis of a simple masonry building, with reinforced concrete floors, wooden roof and shallow foundations.
Course contents summary
1. Introduction to the main topics analyzed in the course and to the basic concepts of structural design.
- Introduction to the main topics analyzed in the course. The role of structural design within architectural design.
- Criteria for structural verification (limit states method) and analysis of the main design codes (DM08 Italian code and Eurocodes)
- Actions on structures: classification and combination of actions; permanent and imposed loads, snow, wind and seismic action.
2. Structural design of bearing floors, roofs and stairs.
- Mechanical characterization of the most common materials adopted in current design for the considered structural typologies: reinforced concrete, steel and wood.
- Construction techniques for the realization of bearing floors (made of reinforced concrete, steel or wood).
- RC floors and roofs: classification, dimensioning rules, construction details, design and verification.
- Wooden floors and roofs: classification, dimensioning rules, construction details, design and verification.
- Stairs: geometric and functional design criteria, possible structural schemes, design and verification.
3. Structural design of masonry buildings.
- Mechanical characterization of ordinary masonry.
- Rules for the design of masonry buildings. Structural organization of the building and distribution of bearing walls. Importance of connections between walls and between walls and floors.
- Rules for the design of "simple buildings". Distribution of horizontal and vertical loads among bearing walls. Design and verification of masonry buildings at ULS.
- Seismic analysis of masonry buildings.
4. Structural design of shallow foundations.
- Shallow foundations: classification and structural behavior; geotechnical and structural design.
- Iacobelli F., "Progetto e verifica delle costruzioni in muratura in zona sismica", EPC libri.
- Carbone I.V., Fiore A., Pistone G., "Le costruzioni in muratura", Hoepli.
- Piazza M., Tomasi R., Modena R., "Strutture in legno", Hoepli.
- Cosenza E., Manfredi G., Pecce M., "Strutture in cemento armato - Le basi della progettazione", Hoepli.
- Lenza P., Ghersi A., Calderoni B., "Edifici in muratura alla luce della nuova normativa sismica", Dario Flaccovio Editore.
Lectures in the classroom, with prevalent use of the blackboard.
Assessment methods and criteria
Written examination relative to the design of simple structural elements analyzed during the course.