Learning outcomes of the course unit
Provide knowledge about the nature of toxic effects of xenobiotics. Provide the general principles of risk assessment
Course contents summary
toxic action of xenobiotics and the main regulatory aspects; epidemiology
· General principles of toxicology.
· Mechanisms of toxicity. Toxicity test.
· Absorption, distribution and excretion of toxic substances.
· Biotransformation of xenobiotics.
· Carcinogenesis, teratogenesis, mutagenesis.
· Experimental toxicology, epidemiology and toxicological risk assessment.
· Idiosyncratic reactions and allergic diseases, interactions between xenobiotics.
· Toxicology of pesticides, metals, solvents, PAHs, PCB.
· Environmental Toxicology, gas
· food and nutrition Toxicology, Food Additives and Contaminants. Regulatory agencies.
· Occupational Toxicology
· Toxicology of biotechnology products.
-ERNEST HODGSON: “Tossicologia Moderna”, EdiSES
-CASARETT & DOULL’S: "Tossicologia: fondamenti dell’azione delle sostanze tossiche", Ed. EMSI,
-W.A. HAYES: "Principles and Methods of Toxicology", III Edition, Raven Press.
Tossicologia generale e applicata ai farmaci. Balduini-Costa. Ed EDRA
Assessment methods and criteria