PHARMACEUTICAL TECHNOLOGY LABORATORY
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The objective of the course is to give to the student the practical notions about the preparations, controls and technological properties of most common immediate release dosage forms.
The expected learning outcomes are:
1) Knowledge and understanding: knowledge of excipients, fabrication methods, of controls, of technological properties of immediate release dosage forms.
2) Applying knowledge and understanding: ability to apply, in an independent way, the knowledge acquired for the preparation of a given dosage form.
3) Communication skills: ability to use the specific language for this specialistic discipline.
4) Making judgements: the capability to face the professional responsibilities of the galenic pharmacist
5) Learning skills: capability of using the knowledge and the basic elements acquired in the conduction of the work as galenic pharmacist. Capability of upgrade, through the scientific publications in the field of pharmaceutical technology.
It is preferable to have already passed the exams of general chemistry and organic chemistry
Course contents summary
Module content are:
1) Legal issues concerning the preparation, packaging and pricing of galenic preparation in pharmacy
2) Preparation and controls according the Farmacopea Ufficiale of conventional dosage forms:
- Oral powders
- Topical powders
- Liquid preparations for oral use
- Liquid preparation for topical use
- Topical semisolid dosage forms
- Vaginal preparations
- Rectal preparations
•Legal issues about the preparation, packaging and pricing of medicines in pharmacy.
Preparation and characterization according to Italian Pharmacopea of the folowing dosage forms:
-Solutions and suspensions
-Suppositories and pessaries
ENRICO RAGAZZI, «Galenica pratica, formulazione e tecnologia», Libreria Internazionale Cortina Padova
FRANCO BETTIOL, «Manuale delle preparazioni galeniche», Tecniche Nuove
Farmacopea Ufficiale XII Ed.
The module includes theoretical lessons and practical work classes.
Assessment methods and criteria
To acquire the final grade of the exam, the student must show to be have learned and to be able to use the basic concepts of each subject. In particular he/she should:
a) pass a practical exam at the end of practical works (Module of Laboratorio di Tecnologia Farmaceutica, weight 40% of the overall grade);
b) pass an exam (either oral or written), during the official dates established by the Dipartimento di Farmacia (both modules, weight 60% of the overall grade).
The grade, expressed in thirtieths, will be based on the following criteria:
1. knowledge and comprehension (theoretical and practical) capability of the subjects studied;
2. making judgements ability
3. communication skills and appropriate use of the technical language;
4. ability to learn.