Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course explains the most important problems concerning steel structures by using both a design approach and a rigorous formulation of the problems, in order to show the dimensioning criteria. Particular attention will be given to the new norms of the Eurocodes.
The course of Reinforced Concrete Structures is helpful.
Course contents summary
1. Structural Systems: Kinematics, stability, space behaviour. Comparisons with the behaviour of the reinforced concrete structures. Multi-storey and single-storey buildings. Calculation models.
2. Reliability of Steel Structures: Critical considerations concerning the allowable stress method. The semi-probabilistic method.
3. Loads: Permanent, imposed and climatic loads.
4. The Material: Structural steels. Shapes. Structural and geometrical imperfections. Quality and laboratory controls. Resistance criteria. Verification methods.
5. Welds: Technology of welds. Strength of welded joints. Calculation methods.
6. Bolts: Technology of bolts. Strength of bolted joints. Calculation methods.
7. Connections: Joint ductility. Lamellar tearing. Articulated joints. Joints in tension, in compression, in bending. Beam-column joints. Column-foundation joints. Section-composition joints.
8. Strength of structural elements: Serviceability limit state. Conventional elastic limit state. Plastic limit state.
9. Stability of structural elements: Centrally compressed members: influence of imperfections, recommended curves. Bent members. Beam columns: plate buckling, Flexural-torsional buckling. Local buckling: elements in compression, web crippling. Frame members. Stiffened plane plates.
- G. Ballio, F.M. Mazzolani, Strutture in acciaio, Hoepli, 1987
- G. Ballio, C. Bernuzzi, Progettare costruzioni in acciaio, Hoepli, 2004
- C. Bernuzzi, F.M. Mazzolani, Edifici in acciaio, Hoepli, 2007
- N. Scibilia, Progetto di strutture in acciaio, Dario Flaccovio Editore, 2010.
- V. Nunziata, Teoria e pratica delle strutture in acciaio, Dario Flaccovio Editore, 2011.
- A. Dall'Asta, R. Landolfo, W. Salvatore, Edifici monopiano in acciaio ad uso industriale, Dario Flaccovio Editore, 2009.
In addition to the lectures, practical applications with design examples of structural elements will be illustrated.
Assessment methods and criteria
The examination is based on a comprehensive written test over the theoretical and practical contents of the course.