FUNDAMENTALS OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING + INTRODUCTION TO ELECTRONICS (UNIT 1)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
APPLICAZIONI INDUSTRIALI ELETTRICHE
1) Knowledge and understanding.
This module aims at providing students with basic knowledge and understanding of:
- electric systems behavior in steady state, quasi steady state and dynamic conditions;
- electromechanical system behavior
- electric circuit analysis
- energetic behavior of electric systems
- magnetic circuit behavior under linear assumption
2) Applying knowledge and understanding
Students will be able to:
- analyzing and designing electric circuits
- compensate the reactive power in electric power plants
- make use of analog or digital voltmeter, ampere meter and wattmeter
The students are expected to be familiar with the notions of mathematic
and physics taught in the 1st and 2nd year of the Laurea in Mechanical Engineering.
(Analisi matematica 1, Analisi matematica 2, Fisica generale 1, Fisica generale 2)
Course contents summary
a) Electric Systems in steady state conditions.
b) Electric Systems in quasi steady state conditions.
c) Electric systems dynamic behavior.
d) Magnetic circuits
a) Electric circuits in steady state conditions.
Basic of electric linear circuit theory.
Analysis of DC electric circuits
From Maxwell field theory to lumped parameters circuits. Fields, charge and current.
Kirchhoff’s current and voltage laws.
Parallel and series connections for linear circuits. Wye-Delta transformation.
Node and loop analysis.
Network theorems. Thevenin’s and Norton’s theorem. Maximum power transfer theorem.
b) Electric circuits in quasi steady state conditions.
Second order circuits. Series and parallel RLC circuits. Analysis of AC electric circuits
Phasor representatives of sinusoidal signals. Steady-state circuit analysis using phasors. Sinuosoidal steady-state power calculations. Analysis of Three-Phase circuits.
Economical aspects of electric power transmission. Frequency Response of linear circuits.
c) Electric circuits dynamic behavior.
Transient analysis of electric circuits Inductors, Capacitors and duality. First order RL and RC circuits. Fourier series and Fourier transform.
d) Magnetic circuits
Magnetic circuit definition and magnetic materials behavior.
The analysis of the magnetic circuit
• G. Rizzoni “Elettrotecnica principi e applicazioni” McGraw-Hill
• G.Fabricatore, “Elettrotecnica ed applicazioni”, Ed. Liguori.
Classroom lectures and excercices
Assessment methods and criteria
Oral exam. There is a single exam for the two modules making up the
integrated course. As far as Applicazioni industriali Elettriche students will have to demonstrate knowledge of the
techniques for the time analysis and synthesis of electric systems including energy behavior.
It is considered important that student be able to solve simple quantitative exercises by hand calculation.