Learning outcomes of the course unit
The class gives a general perspective about logistics activities, providing related management and designing tools
Although not compulsory, it is suggested that students attending this course know some basics of Industrial Plants and Operations Management
Course contents summary
The course addresses the following topics:
- Logistics activities
- Freight transport systems
- Packaging systems
- Material Handling systems
- Warehouse design
The logistics system
• Logistics activities
• Physical description of the logistics system and related flows
• The performance of a logistics system. The concept of total logistics cost.
Freight transport systems
• Introduction to freight transport systems and choice of transport mode
• The road freight transport and related costs
• Intermodal transport.
• definitions and terminology
• The costs associated with packaging
• Environmental aspects of packaging. The channels of the reverse logistics;
• Guidelines and regulatory issues related to packaging;
• Types of packaging and description.
• Identification of the packaging
• Management and design of packaging systems
Material handling systems
• definitions. Classification of material handling systems. Construction features and performance. AGV systems
• Design of material handling systems
• Description of the main types of material handling systems.
• Definitions and terminology.
• processes and functional areas of a warehouse
• Process design of the storage areas intensive in manual warehouses.
Ferrozzi, Shapiro. Logistica e Strategia Vol I e II. McGraw-Hill
Caron, Marchet, Wegner. Impianti di movimentazione e stoccaggio dei materiali. Hoepli, Milano
Lessons and exercises
Assessment methods and criteria