Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student will acquire basic knowledge of botany, classification and herbaceous crops
Course contents summary
The plant cell: organelles and cell wall.
Development and cell differentiation.
Plant tissues and their functions.
Root system, vegetative and reproductive systems.
Plant metabolism: photosynthesis, nitrogen uptake and assimilation.
Absorption and assimilation of major mineral elements.
Saprofitismo and symbiosis.
Products of secondary metabolism.
Adaptations of plants to stress.
Systematic and classification basics. Cereals. Erbaceous industrial plants. Herbaceous forages plants.
ANATOMY OF ANGIOSPERMAE
- Plant Cell
- The stem
- The leaf
- Plant tissue
- Life cycle of Angiosperms: flower, fertilization, embryo, seed, fruit
- WATER BALANCE OF PLANT
- The water in the soil
- Water absorption by the roots
- Transport of water through the xylem
- Movement of water from the leaf to the atmosphere
- THE MINERAL NUTRITION AND TRANSPORTATION OF SOLUTI
- Essential nutrients for plants
- Soil, roots and microbes
- Absorption of mineral elements of the soil
- Processes of membrane transport
- Transport of ions in the roots
- THE PHOTOSYNTHESIS: Reactions to light
- Organization photosynthetic apparatus
- Organization of antenna systems for light absorption
- Stages of photosynthesis
- Mechanisms of the electron transport
- Transport of protons and ATP synthesis in the chloroplast
- Synthesis of glucose
- THE PHOTOSYNTHESIS: Reactions of carbon
- The Calvin cycle
- The cycle C2 for the oxidation of carbon
- The cycle C4 carbon
- Starch and sucrose
- Control of the photosynthetic apparatus
- TRANSLOCATION in the phloem
- Routes of translocation
- Models of translocation: from its sources and sinks
- Substances translocated in the phloem and speed of movement
- The model of the pressure flow for the transport of the phloem
- Loading of the phloem
- Download the phloem (phloem unloading) and transition from "pit-source"
- Distribution of photosynthesis: the allocation and distribution
- The transport of signaling molecules
- BREATHING AND LIPID METABOLISM
- Glycolysis, the citric acid cycle, electron transport and mitochondrial ATP synthesis
- Lipid Metabolism
- ASSIMILATION OF MINERAL NUTRIENTS
- Assimilation of nitrate and ammonium
- Assimilation of sulfur
- Assimilation of phosphate
- Assimilation of cations
- Assimilation of oxygen
- SECONDARY METABOLITES AND DEFENSES OF PLANTS
- Cutina, suberin and waxes
- Secondary metabolites: terpenes, phenolic compounds, nitrogen-containing compounds
- Induced plant defenses against insects and herbivores against pathogens
- CELL WALLS: STRUCTURE, AND EXPANSION BIOGENESIS
- Structure and synthesis of plant cell walls
- Models of cell expansion
- Speed of cell elongation
- Degradation of the wall and plant defenses
- Physiology STRESS
- Water stress, thermal and saline
- Lack of oxygen
- Classification, nomenclature and Study of Variability
- Characters with taxonomic value
- Divisions of the plant kingdom
- Identification of vascular plants
- Classification of plants of agricultural interest
- Durum wheat
- Farro small, medium and big spelled spelled or spelled
- Millet and panic
- INDUSTRIAL PLANTS
- Sugar beet
- Fodder legume
- Red Clover or violet
- White clover
- Persian clover
- Clover hybrid
- Crimson Clover
- On the
- Forage grasses
- Grass mazzolina
- Tall fescue
- Timothy or Timothy
- Bromo cathartic
- Bromo helpless
- Fescue lawns
- Red fescue
- Festuca ovina
- Simultaneous between legumes and grasses
- Plants by erbaio
PUPILLO P., CERVONE F., CRESTI M., RASCIO N. - BIOLOGIA VEGETALE. Zanichelli Editore, Bologna, 2003.
LINCOLN T., ZEIGER E. - FISIOLOGIA VEGETALE. Piccin, 2009.
PASQUA G., ABBATE G., FORNI C. BOTANICA GENERALE E DIVERSITA' VEGETALE. Piccin, 2011.
Lectures with Power Point Support.
Practical activity on vegetal samples.
Assessment methods and criteria