FOUNDATION IN ROAD TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course will provide a basic knowledge of the most important theoretical and practical aspects of road infrastructures design emphasis on the geometric design of roadsides, on the choice and selection of materials for earth and pavement structures.
Course contents summary
1) ROADS AND VEHICLE.
Resistances to motion.
Locomotion mechanic and general equation for traction.
Friction. Stopping sight distance. Overtaking sight distance.
Road vehicles performances.
2) ROAD DESIGN IN HORIZONTAL PLAN.
Design speed. Road axis. Horizontal plan.
Vehicle stability on curve. Visibility in curve.
3) VERTICAL ALIGNMENT OF ROAD.
Maximum grade of vertical alignment. Vertical circular and parabolic curves.
Horizontal and vertical coordination.
4) ROAD CROSS SECTION.
Characteristics of road cross section.
Particular road cross section.
Road cross section in curve.
5) ROAD STRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION.
Definition of soils as material for embankments.
Embankment. Subgrade. Elements of road geotechnics. Stone aggregates.
Binders and mixtures. Mechanical characteristics of mixtures. Granular mixes subbase. Bounded and non-bounded base layers. Bituminous mixtures. Principles of pavement design.
- Appunti delle lezioni forniti direttamente agli studenti.
- Tesoriere G., Boscaino G.,“Strade, ferrovie, aeroporti”, Vol. I-II, Utet.
- Ferrari P., Giannini F.,“Ingegneria Stradale”, Vol. I-II, ISEDI.