Learning outcomes of the course unit
To provide students with an understanding of human neural control of behavioral, autonomic and emotional responses to sensory stimuli.
General Physiology, Histology and Human Anatomy
Course contents summary
Human neuroanatomy, peripheral and central motor systems, sensory systems, autonomic nervous system and its central control, and brain activity.
1. Introduction to the nervous system organization
2. Neuron action potential: origin, propagation and synaptic transmission
3. Sensory systems: sensory receptors, transduction mechanisms, generator potentials and frequency coding in the CNS. Major afferent pathways; subcortical and cortical regions,
and information processing.
- somatosensory system
- special senses (hearing, vision, taste, olfaction)
4. Motor system and organization of motor function
5. Autonomic Nervous System and its central control
1.Robert M. Berne e Matthew N. Levy: FISIOLOGIA - Casa Editrice Ambrosiana - (VI edizione 2010)
Assessment methods and criteria
Written test and oral Examination