DISEASES OF THE BLOOD
Learning outcomes of the course unit
to provide: a) basic hematological techniques; b) causes, pathology and clinical aspects of the most common blood diseases.
Course contents summary
classification of the hematological disorders;
hemopoiesis, lymphopoiesis and coagulation in health and disease.
1. the hematopoietic system
2. Bone marrow and peripheral blood sampling and film preparation
3. biology and clinical use of the hematopoietic stem cell
4. classification of the malignant and non-malignant hematological disorders
5. approach to diagnosis of the hematological disorders
6. sideropenic and megaloblastic anemia
7. severe aplastic anemia
8. acute leukemia
9. chronic leukemia
10. Hodgkin's lymphoma
11. non Hodgkin's lymphomas
12. multiple myeloma and monoclonal gammopathies
13. myelodysplastic syndrome
14. autologous and allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation
Corso di Malattie del sangue, di Sante Tura e Michele Baccarani, Esculapio editore 2012
lecture with slide presentation
Assessment methods and criteria
All the slides presented during the formal lesson will be available.