Learning outcomes of the course unit
To know the psychophysical techniques for studying colour vision.
Course contents summary
Light and visual function. From the photometry to color vision.
- elements of the physiology of color vision
- lighting and light sources of CIE
- radiometric quantities and International System
- photometric quantities: CIE 1924 and CIE 1988
- space for a number of observers of the tristimulus (CIE 1931, CIE 1964) and
references XYZ and RGB
- Vos observer
- CIE 1976 psychometric spaces: CIELAB and CIELUV
- measurement of spectral reflectance factor,instruments as recommended by CIE
- fluorescent colors
- color atlases: Munsell, DIN, OSA-UCS, NCS
- clinical tests for diagnosis of color vision
Text book: Claudio Oleari ed, Misurare il colore, Hoepli editore, Milano 2008
Elements of physiology of the visual system. CIE standard illuminants and standard light sources .
radiometric quantities (International System). Photometric quantities (CIE 1924 and CIE 1988 standard photometric observers). Tristimulus space and conventional observers (CIE31, CIE64and VOS) and reference frames (RGB, XYZ, LMS, …). Psychometric systems CIE 1976 (CIELAB and CIELUV). Spectral reflectance factor measurement. Colorimetric computations. Screen plate printing. Television, computer monitor, digital camera, scanner (sRGB standard). Fluorescent colours. Colour atlases (Munsell, DIN, OSA-UCS, NCS).
Dichromats and related tests. Colour filters and human color vision
C.Oleari. Misurare il Colore. Hoepli Editore, Milano 2008.
Oral and practical lesson
Assessment methods and criteria