Acquisition of specialistic knowledge in the field of the international protection system of human rights
Course contents summary
The protection of human rights:
1) the United Nations Charter and the practice of competent bodies;
- the Universal Declaration of Human Rights;
- the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights;
- the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights;
2) the European Convention on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms:
- right to life;
- right to private life;
- the right to be free from torture and ill-treatment.
Certain matters of substance will be dealt with through case-law study.
PINESCHI (a cura di), La tutela internazionale dei diritti umani. Norme, garanzie e prassi, Giuffré, Milano, 2006, the following parties only: pp. 15-40; 67-147; 173-202; 232-408.
Lectures. Some aspects shall be analysed through class discussion of cases submitted to the Human Rights Committee or the European Court of Human Rights.
Assessment methods and criteria
Oral examination. The exam is to be taken together with the exam concerning Modulo 2.