LEARNING OUTCOMES OF THE COURSE UNIT
The course aims to provide basic knowledge of the structure and function of cells, the reproduction of living beings, and the biological evolution in general. These notions are essential to provide students with the key to the organic world and the understanding of the subjects that will be taught in more specialized courses.
1. Molecules of life: proteins, lipids, nucleic acids and carbohydrates
2. Origin of life.
3. Viruses and bacteria
4. Structure, function and evolution of the eukaryotic cell and its components.
5. Trascription and translation of genetic information (protein synthesis.
6. Sexual and asexual reproduction.
7. Gametogenesis and fertilization.
Fondamenti di Biologia (E. P. Solomon et al.)
Principi di Biologia (N. A. Campbell et al.)
ASSESSMENT METHODS AND CRITERIA
Frontal lessons aided by presentations.